Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The first one is always special

These granny squares (shown here) were my very first ones, made in the Spring 2008, from discontinued wool.

As an adult, I had always wanted to crochet, but the only woman (my great grandmother) in the family who could, died when I was 8. From her, I inherited her portrait, a beautiful crochet hook, and a wonderful handmade lace tablecloth.
I didn't think I could learn it from a book, but the blog community gave me the nerve to do so, and today once again my motivation to join these squares together (something I had never done before & I was so reluctant !) comes from the blogging world, comes from this blog.
It is a very simple small blanket with its imperfections, but you see, it means so much to me : it means I can do it if I really want to.

My daughter turned 10 one week ago, and she found it amongst her birthday gifts. It HAD TO be.
She knows the story and she cares. I guess this is one of these old-fashioned values I want to pass on to the next generation.
Basically, what I'd like to say is : thank you, ladies, for your support ! Now I feel ready to work on another blanket...

16 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! It's a very beautiful blanket. A lovely work.
    Patri

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful blanket. You need a crown that states FEARLESS! Good for you. A lovely post indeed! ~Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. That, as you said, required not only nerve, but also patience, a great deal of work! Very beautiful, congratulations!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! Congratulations on your new crochet skill!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was your first try? Wow! I'm so impressed by just how lovely it has turned out - the colours go perfectly together and the border brings it all together. I'll be keeping an eye out for what you crochet next as you are sure to ace it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very moving story and such a beautiful piece of crochet, and for a first time too. Your gift to your daughter is more than the beautiful blanket. Hugs, Margie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. if this is your first one you do not have to be afraid about nothing else!!!! BRAVA BRAVA BRAVISSIMA!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely blanket!!! I like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: I answered your comment on my blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful passage about a love of crochet you have & now share with your daughter....and now with the rest of us.

    Your afghan is stunning and indeed special!

    Isn't it just grand how supportive everyone is? I know it is the only reason I could have/would have continued with this journey into the limitless (yes! magnificent) world of crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh !!!
    Thank you so much everybdoy ! Your kind words make my eyes wet...
    I'm looking forward to seeing this place & our virtual friendship grow !

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was a great and inspirational post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful story and a beautiful piece of work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet gift! It's gorgeous. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...I'm glad you shared your story and the pictures of this gorgeous afghan! It turned out beautiful...I see no imperfections!

    ReplyDelete