Sunday, May 29, 2011
A few weeks ago I scoured my local thrift shop for frames to use in free form crochet projects. I hit the jackpot and found quite a few that were half off (you can see a photo here)! For the last two weeks I've been working on painting, crocheting, and gluing, turning each piece into a soft sculpture to hang on the wall!
I love the turquoise piece with scalloped edges... it's my favorite so far! I still have a stack of frames to use, I just have to choose a color palette and get to work!
Each of these pieces (as well as any new ones) are listed in my shop, I've been getting great feedback on the soft sculptures I've sold so far : )
Posted by Rachel at 1:25 PM
I have some activity days coming up in June at school and I am going to run an accessories workshop. We shall be making different types of corsages, bag charms etc. Crochet might be a bit much with 25 students but I have been going back over how to make these lovely flowers in the evening as part of my thinking for the workshop. I have been too busy to get the sewing machine out and too tired as well. Picking up a bit of wool and a hook is very spontaneous and portable.
The above is a conventional flower which can be found on the Internet, but I found that if a add another row or two I can get it to crinkle up and gain a different shape. Swapping the colours for the rows also adds to it. I am still trying to expand my skills and this may be nothing new but it was a bit of a landmark for me. For once I was able to decide what the flower looked like rather than keeping my fingers crossed that it might look like the picture in the book!
I am working on another style but more on that another time.
Is is possible to create other types of flowers via crochet?
I have found some help on Youtube but was not sure if I could be looking somewhere else.
Posted by Annemarie's Haakblog at 1:29 AM
Friday, May 20, 2011
Monday, May 9, 2011
I have not posted here for a while, it does seem to take me quite a while to make anything.
Here is my second crochet blanket using stripes this time. Inspired by Attic24.
My last blanket was rectangular so I decided to make this one square. I also used 50% cotton 50% acrylic yarn called Kon-Tikki by Stylecraft.
It is a lovely yarn to use, soft, heavy and glides over the hook making it much easier to crochet that acrylic wool.
I then went around the edge with a little picot stitch to finish off the edges where the colours were added in every two rows.
I am pleased with the way this has turned out and my daughter had put in an order for a pink and purple version for use in front of the television, especially on chilly evenings.
I have a mind to try and make something to wear. I have made scarf which I posted on this blog, but I am wondering about something else. I shall have to have a think.